Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Would you like apple cider with that?

Earlier this week I was volunteering at one of the house musuems downtown. The first day I entertained the visitors with information about the room I was assigned. The second day I charmed the company and monitored the refreshments. This is when I realized that there wasn't much difference between me and the women that lived here two hundred years ago. I smiled and told tourist to check out our garden and try the cookies and cider while the portrait of Cornelia stared blankly at me. I think she secretly knows that I am an awkward, independant woman posing as a charming southern belle (without the accent). While I love the history of the house and learning more about it, I can't help but feel artificial when I put my "professional face" on for the visitors. But being bland and resigned isn't what they paid for. Just like the woman who stared at me I was using my knowledge and skills to be presentable to those around me. It really got me to thinking. What is my role in society? I am capable of playing the role of a traditional woman in a historical sense. Becoming a teacher isn't really ground breaking for women. While I know that I can do jobs like this perfectly, I also know that there is another side of me that needs to be challenged.

No comments:

Post a Comment