Wednesday, December 16, 2009

So much to say in so little time

I've got a question for You God:

Why give me the answers and not enough time to share them?

Is it my fault that I hesitate, or do You purposely let things happen as soon as I get the courage to share what is on my heart? I realized today that although I am at a state of comfort and certainty in my faith, this is the age that most people experince uncertainty and doubt in their faith. Not only do I feel comfortable, I even feel that I can answer the questions that they sometimes have about faith. While I don't know everything, there is no doubt that You have given me wisdom and a clear perspective about certain things. Sometimes I feel that it is best for the person to come to that understanding on their own, and then there are other times when I feel that I can give valuable advice. Some how the words never make it out of my mouth or time runs out. It happens so many times that I am beginning to think that You are behind it. Why give me this understanding then? I am beginning to think You want me to deliver it in a different, shorter package, but I'm not as creative as You think. Like tonight for instance, just as I was about to say, "Hey, you should trust the Holy Spirit in guiding you on what to believe whenever you get confused by the Bible because God can open your eyes and help you understand when your mind isn't capable of doing it. Sometimes when we keep our eyes on the bigger picture the little things start making sense." Unfortunately, I had 3 seconds to convey that and what came out was, "I will pray for you." Both should be just as effective. I've really been into the power of prayer lately, but if that's the way to help people why load me with all of this advice? Is it my pride that wants to always give an answer?

This got me thinking. If I only have a couple of seconds to tell someone something important, what words and phrases would be the most important. I need to come up with an effective way to communicate in few words for when those times arise. (A light bulb just went off). This is what bible verses are for. If I run out of time, I can shout out the bible verse closest to what i want to say. Luke 12:22-23 can say a lot with one word a few numbers. While this isn't the strategy for every situation or everyone, it can work for the situations when I am advising a Christian friend. The new problem is getting to know my Bible well. As for those other moments, prayer will have to be suffice until God permits the right timing for me to speak. God I trust You. I don't know why I feel like I am on mute right now, but in the end You always have some bigger plan beyond me to carry out your work. I just guess I will have to sit back and watch how things play out as I pray. Just because I can't say it doesn't mean that I can't write it. Maybe You just want to focus on writing down these things more than speaking them. Whatever it is, I just ask that You open my eyes to understanding You more and to your plan for how I use the wisdom You have placed in my life.

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment